Food review: Caesar salad ~ Food review blog: I Food U Food

Food review blog from San Francisco.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Food review: Caesar salad


















Restaurant:
Harvest and Rowe (San Francisco)
Food description: Romaine hearts, shaved parmesan, anchovies, and garlic croutons with anchovy parmesan dressing
Food rating: 7 out of 10
Times ordered: 10+

Caesar salads are one of the few salads I get cravings for (probably since they're the least healthy), so every week or so I venture out to get my caesar salad fix on. I haven't had much luck finding anything amazing, especially for lunch, but this one from Harvest and Rowe does the trick. Harvest and Rowe is like the soup nazi for salads during lunch time, but there's a reason why there's always a line out the door for their salads. The caesar (along with all their salads) is always extremely fresh and piles on the good stuff, a.k.a. plenty of shaved parmesan, croutons, and anchovies for every bite. The dressing isn't overpoweringly garlicky, and relies on the garlic croutons to supply that aspect. The croutons are really quite good--they're homemade and it shows. I can taste a mass-produced crouton a mile away, so I really appreciate it when I'm not forced to suffer through another traumatic crouton experience. The salad comes in a big ole box and most people that I know can't finish it all. Not that it's too much salad or anything, but after eating a salad for 15 minutes and it's still not finished, you start to feel similar to a cow that's been grazing awhile, and I think that's when people stop. Anyway, the salad is nothing gourmet, but if you're like me and itching for a quick-and-yummy caesar salad, you'll enjoy the one at Harvest and Rowe. And though it would be sacrilege, yes, you can order it without the anchovies.

No comments: