Food review: Cobb salad ~ Food review blog: I Food U Food

Food review blog from San Francisco.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Food review: Cobb salad


















Restaurant:
The Crepe House (Gough St., San Francisco)
Food description: Mixed greens with grilled chicken, bacon, avocado, tomato, carrots, red onion, and red radish, tossed with balsamic vinaigrette
Food rating: 4 out of 10
Times ordered: 1

I ordered this salad specifically after someone recommended it to me, and boy did I regret remembering that conversation! Where do I start? A Cobb salad with balsamic vinaigrette, mixed greens, radish, no eggs, and no blue cheese? Looks like someone in the kitchen misplaced their recipe cards! Looks like those same people forgot to toss the salad and to chop up the ingredients into pieces that fit into regular-sized mouths. It took me an extra 5 minutes just to cut up the giant mound of chicken, lettuce leaves, avocado, and tomato that was carelessly plopped on top. The chicken was also burning hot and was thrown on top of the lettuce, rendering a once cool-and-refreshing salad warm and wilted. This is a huge pet peeve of mine and I can't imagine how anyone could actually enjoy their salad served this way. Forget the preparation, the ingredients themselves were below par. The avocado had tiny black spots all over it like it was diseased and they used the bitter tough end parts of the romaine lettuce that you'd normally throw out. What a mess. I ended up eating the bacon and chicken and leaving the rest. I had to go home and eat Triscuits to keep myself from starving to death. Need I say more? If you're looking for a decent Cobb salad, I'd go to Chow or Cafe Madeline.

No comments: