Food review: BBQ pork ribs ~ Food review blog: I Food U Food

Food review blog from San Francisco.

Monday, April 16, 2007

Food review: BBQ pork ribs


















Restaurant:
Big Nate's Barbeque (San Francisco)
Food description: Barbeque pork ribs with medium spicy bbq sauce and 2 slices of wheat Wonder® bread
Food rating: 7 out of 10
Times ordered: 10+

Mmm, there's nothing like a good ole order of ribs to satisfy a girl. Ordering from Big Nate's used to be my Sunday ritual, especially when I was feelin lazy, they delivered right to my door (yep, that's my lovely kitchen counter in the shot). Of course I got sick of it after a while, and started going to Memphis Minnie's, which was a lot better, but further and no delivery. Got sick of that too, so here I am, back where I started, until the next best thing comes along. Since I've had these ribs quite a few times, assume that I know what I'm talking about. The sauce is too sweet for my taste, but has a nice little kick to it. You can order it mild, medium, or spicy-- I like the medium, which is just barely spicy but creeps up on you after awhile. I have to add loads of salt to counterbalance the sweetness of the sauce, which works I guess, but isn't ideal. I really don't like how the ribs are drowning in the sauce, and maybe it should be served on the side so I can actually taste the meat, ya know? Speaking of meat, the cut of the ribs are 1/2 spare ribs and 1/2 country ribs. Spare ribs are thin and have lean meat that comes right off the bone. Country ribs are awful, they're thick chunky cuts that are part meat, part fat, part cartilage, and part bone which you gotta try discern one thing from the next (aka a royal pain in the ass to eat). Plus, certain the edges of these cuts get all dried out and taste like beef jerky. On the other hand, the spare ribs are wonderful--tender with a deep smoky flavor and no trimming needed--I still just don't understand the country ribs. Why!!!! I've seen most bbq places do this, so I'm sure they're just being cheap or something. Anyway, I thought the slices of Wonder Bread were a nice touch of southern authenticity, and provided the break from all that spicy sweet sauce. So, if you're a fan of bbq and want something good, cheap, and authentic (and not picky about the cut), give these a try. I recommend Memphis Minnie's over Big Nate's in terms of quality, but Big Nate's is much cheaper and more convenient (and definitely gets the job done).

No comments: