Food review: Shrimp and scallop potstickers ~ Food review blog: I Food U Food

Food review blog from San Francisco.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Food review: Shrimp and scallop potstickers


















Restaurant:
Firefly (San Francisco)
Food description: Shrimp and sea scallop potstickers with sesame soy dipping sauce
Food rating: 8 out of 10
Times ordered: 1

I'm baaaaack!! After a short wisdom-teeth-go-bye-bye recovery period, it's sooo great to be back and eatin' like a pro again! It was particularly great to have these potstickers as one of the first real dishes I've had in a while. Michael Bauer didn't lie when he said these were their signature dish. The savory shrimp and scallops were succulent and scrumptious and the sesame soy sauce subtly supplemented its splendid flavor. (Ok, I'll stop now.) The seafood filling wasn't your typical ground up hodgepodge of meat, but huge distinguishable pieces of tender shrimp and fresh scallops that really showcased the seafood as the star ingredients. A touch of ginger, scallions, and sesame oil accented the seafood nicely without overpowering. These potstickers deserve an award for having a skin that is exactly the right thinness to be crispy all around, yet doesn't crumble when you pick it up. Unfortunately, the skin came out just slightly overcooked (see photo) to give off a subtle burnt oil flavor--not bad enough to really ruin anything, but enough to dock the score a tad. If I had a choice between mushy & not burnt and crispy & slightly burnt, I'd prefer the latter (I'm trying to say it could've been worse). That's really my only complaint, and I'd like to try them again, since that wasn't the only thing that came out of the kitchen overcooked that night. And one last thing: even though the potstickers were really tasty and I wanted to order more, I really don't think it's good enough to be their signature dish (sorry if I sound like a b!%&$). Maybe the fried chicken would qualify for such a distinction?

No comments: