Food review: Har gau dim sum (shrimp dumplings) ~ Food review blog: I Food U Food

Food review blog from San Francisco.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Food review: Har gau dim sum (shrimp dumplings)


















Restaurant:
Yank Sing (Stevenson St., San Francisco)
Food description: Steamed shrimp dumplings filled with chopped shrimp and sweet winter bamboo shoot tips
Food rating: 7 out of 10
Times ordered: 2

I must admit that har gau is one of my favorite dim sum dishes, so it was a relief that Yank Sing did a proper job on these dumplings. I was starting to worry they didn't have anything I'd like. Although these little suckers can get pretty slippery with the plastic chopsticks that were provided, the thickness and consistency of the rice skin was just right, and the chunky shrimp and bamboo filling had great flavor and texture. There were thick sesame overtones which meshed well with the shrimp, but left a slightly greasy aftertaste. Nothing that a swig of beer couldn't fix. Other than that, my only complaint is that I wanted more of it! Looking forward to ordering these again.

No comments: