Food review: Shu mai (pork and shrimp dumplings) ~ Food review blog: I Food U Food

Food review blog from San Francisco.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Food review: Shu mai (pork and shrimp dumplings)


















Restaurant:
Yank Sing (Stevenson St., San Francisco)
Food description: Steamed dumplings with shrimp and pork filling, hand-wrapped in fresh pasta skin (dim sum)
Food rating: 6.5 out of 10
Times ordered: 1

The shu mai at Yank Sing (Stevenson location only) is pretty standard. It's decent enough to order again, but nothing memorable. I really feel like the dim sum here is generally overpriced so please excuoooze me for sounding critical. On the bright side, the shu mai dumplings seemed fresh, not frozen, with a nice distinct sesame-pork flavor. The texture was well... dim-sum-y. You know, that weird mystery-meat lookin' medley of pork n shrimp that dim sum is notorious for. I don't really fancy my pork and shrimp sharing the same fork together, but there's enough garlic and other ingredients to distract me from this aspect. I think with enough sesame, garlic, and ginger, you can make anything taste proper. But for real, their shu mai was likable--the price tag less so--but I'd say go for it if you can get your company to sponsor it (otherwise you're on your own!).

No comments: