Food review: Kitchen sink sandwich ~ Food review blog: I Food U Food

Food review blog from San Francisco.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Food review: Kitchen sink sandwich


















Restaurant:
Toaster Oven (San Francisco)
Food description: Sandwich with salami, ham, roast beef, turkey, and provolone on a wheat roll
Food rating: 8 out of 10
Times ordered: 10+

For a top-notch sandwich joint that's also quick and cheap, Toaster Oven is your place. I've tried most of the sandwiches on the menu, and the kitchen sink sandwich is my favorite. I actually modify the recipe a bit, leaving out the roast beef. It clashes a little with the other 3 meats plus it's too stringy and requires some post-lunch floss action which ain't really my thing. They're a little stingy on the meat, but you can add more for a buck. The way they make sandwiches here is they put the meat and cheese on a roll, put it through a toaster and then comes the toppings . The cheese is perfectly melted and it's not like those fake panini sandwiches where the meat is all cold in the middle. I don't know where they get it from, but their bread is ridiculous. It's probably the best part of the sandwich: not too chewy, not too thick, toasted on the outside and soft on the inside. Every time I walk by this place, the scent of fresh bread reminds me to keep coming back.

No comments: