Food review: Wiener Schnitzel ~ Food review blog: I Food U Food

Food review blog from San Francisco.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Food review: Wiener Schnitzel


















Restaurant:
Suppenkuche (San Francisco)
Food description: Breaded sauteed pork loin with roasted potatoes and green salad
Food rating: 7 out of 10
Times ordered: 3

Suppenkuche is a neighborhood favorite of mine, so I know to prepare myself for the instant food coma that happens within minutes of eating there (you've been warned). The wiener schnitzel is one of the heaviest dishes on the menu, but a great beginner dish for those new to German food. The pork tenderloin is pounded until very thin and tender, and then breaded and pan fried. Squeeze a a couple lemons on top and voila! Simple and yummy. The portions are huge, but save room for the roasted potatoes-they don't look like much, but they're very tasty. And forget the salad, I've never seen anyone eat that stuff here. Overall, I find the dish a tad dry and too oily, so I always recommend it's sister dish, the jägerschnitzel: same thing, only with mushroom gravy instead of lemon. It's definitely the better choice.

No comments: